close

March 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

add ioncube extension to PHP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel

is there anyway to add ioncube extension to PHP without losing it in every ss install?

#4296 Reply
    Frank

yes you can define with PHP_EXTENSIONS variable in ss-config

anyway ionCube is not really safe and nobody should be using that really, there are not any good reasons to use it IMO

#4308 Reply
    Aaron

How can I add it?
    I added ioncube between “” but it didn’t installed

#4311 Reply
    Christopher

what exactly did you write for the value of PHP_EXTENSIONS ??

#4312 Reply
    Christina

Sorry I forgot,

I don’t think it’s supported by Ubuntu PHP by default. You might have to install it manually:

How To Install IonCube Loader on Ubuntu 20.04

#4332 Reply
    Jacob

from the ByteXD tutorial:

cd /tmp/
    wget http://downloads3.ioncube.com/loader_downloads/ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.tar.gz

then

sudo tar xzf ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.tar.gz -C /usr/local

then verify it exists in the child directory

ls /usr/local/ioncube
    #4338 Reply
    Richard

but what about editing the php.ini files to activate ioncube loader

#4414 Reply
    Joe

oopsies

#4591 Reply
    Eugene

Official update:

SlickStack does not support ionCube and probably won’t in the future. It just goes against the open source philosophy of both WordPress and SlickStack.

More here:

https://github.com/littlebizzy/slickstack/issues/188

#4592 Reply
    Willie

More info on why ionCube sucks:

What Is IonCube & Is It Worth My Money?

By using proprietary software such as an IonCube to lock down programming code built with a free open source language like PHP, you are directly violating the spirit of what built PHP in the first place.
    By some users and developers, you might be seen as a cynical exploiter of other people’s work and generosity, since you are using open source platform (PHP) to create closed source proprietary code.
    Depending on the project you are working on, locking down your PHP code could potentially cause more problems than it solves. It could potentially create negative feelings about your software product, turn off talented developers who might contribute to your project, or reduce the innovation you might receive by keeping your code open source.
    At its worst, using PHP code lockdown software like IonCube could potentially attract hackers who are determined to mess with your project just to be ornery and contrary towards anyone violating the spirit of open source.
    While this last scenario is not very likely, it is worth considering whether the public relations aspects of violating open source philosophy is worth the additional code “security.”

#12349 Reply
    Roger
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Reply #4592 in add ioncube extension to PHP

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!