close

March 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

are VPS providers on LowendBox / LowendTalk legit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Abigail

So many dirt cheap deals on the LET forums and LEB blog, I have seen lots of interesting opinions about it but mostly from several years ago

ex.

Reputable hosts on LowEndBox? from webhosting

#3912 Reply
    Willie

They definitely had some shady VPS brands in the past, probably still do, but if you’re looking for like $10/year VPS servers then what do you expect?

#3913 Reply
    Carl

They definitely had some shady VPS brands in the past

I remember the drama years back was that several different “providers” were exposed as being front companies for ColoCrossing

Some people probably couldn’t care either way.

#3914 Reply
    Jason

@OP depends on what “legit” means 😂

#3915 Reply
    Elizabeth

I remember the drama years back was that several different “providers” were exposed as being front companies for ColoCrossing

It’s more than that. The founder of ColoCrossing was discovered to be the actual owner of LEB and LET websites, and was shilling his own brands across the sites pretending to be many different providers and essentially promoting CC in a dishonest way.

https://vpsboard.com/threads/servermania-ad-stalking-lowendtalk-com-and-lowendbox-com-visitors.5401/

Some info there, but also some dumbasses who didn’t understand what retargeting was (keep in mind the thread is from 2014).

#3932 Reply
    Beverly

BE CAREFUL!!

many of the free VPS or cheap VPS offers are phishing or just 100% scams, be smart and use good reputation providers

#3934 Reply
    Jack

Not much changed in 10+ years

BuyVM, Ramnode, ChicagoVPS still popular and random fly-by-night providers appear from time to time to scam people or try to make a new business and fail

2012 said the same–

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1173406

#4047 Reply
    Catherine

LET has some legit good deals from reliable providers, but because of the “other” providers which are like anonymous guys either desperately trying to launch a new company or purposefully trying to scam people by taking their money for annual plans or lifetime deals and then disappearing after that, it has a mixed reputation.

So besides getting scammed the other problem is do you really want to trust your production site with these providers?

The answer should probably be not for most of LET providers.

#4060 Reply
    Amy

That’s why so many hackers and spammers and criminals use LET deals cuz they don’t care about long-term quality.

In fact they prefer random anonymous providers who don’t as questions!

#4063 Reply
    Ronald

why funnel money into the big corporate companies, or the guys that have gigantic ad campaign budgets when you can support something better?

almost always the support, quality and overal experience will be better but i think you might find that you have to invest time to filter the trash. you can always look at the provider polls and just the most popular providers but the real gold is when you find a top quality provider. i’ve really been enjoying hostcram and crunchbits.com and want nothing to do with AWS, Google, DO, Vultr, etc…

p.s. – just checkout with paypal and you’ll be gucchi.

#4163 Reply
    Alan

sigh.

#4164 Reply
    Sean

they are shady, but so are their customers…. here is one of the LET providers on Reddit warning users not to use in production lmao

It’s Worth rent a VPS from lowendbox.com VPS Provider? from VPS

use them for testing, spamming, but never for production.

and if you use them for production always have your backups on daily basis because they might disappear while you are sleeping .

#4403 Reply
    Samantha

Every provider is unique, best not to generalize too much.

#4404 Reply
    Amber
    #5218 Reply
    Nancy

I have never had any problems with lowendtalk or lowendbox.
    Also offering budget hosting products at https://allgeniushost.com https://discord.gg/allgeniushost

#5693 Reply
    Jessica

BuyVM and BuyShared is the best example of LET providers who have controversial reputation because of bad customer service, lots of spam/malware hosted on their IP addresses, but still have loyal followers (spammers?).

how many BuyVM and BuyShared positive reviews are fake?

Not all of customers are spammers and hackers, but mostly they are. So remember when you are reading reviews about LET brands.

These providers are not meant to use in your production WordPress okay? Unless you are running a Neo nazi website banned from all web hosts like Daily Stormer blog.

#5788 Reply
    Grace

“Unless you are running a Neo nazi website”

ah yah, tons of those floating around everywhere I look. or are you calling their Brazilian founder a nazi?

#5789 Reply
    Alice

https://github.com/lowendbox/lowendscript

12 years no updates, does LEB script for Debian still work, legit curious…

#5790 Reply
    Virginia

your mom is low-end 💁‍♂️

#5792 Reply
    Hannah

I’m so old I remember when Jeff A. called LEB shady af

https://meta.discourse.org/t/are-lowendbox-servers-any-good/14603

#7770 Reply
    Christina

sad but not uncommon:

DediPath abruptly shuts down, shocking customers

and Dedipath was one of the better-funded ones

#9554 Reply
    Christian

RackNerd fan base continues to grow…

#9555 Reply
    Timothy
    #12972 Reply
    Nicholas

i’ve really been enjoying hostcram and crunchbits.com and want nothing to do with AWS, Google, DO, Vultr, etc…

Hostcram and Crunchbits are very cheap. Are they actually good?

#13011 Reply
    Donald

hating on AWS? fine.

complained about Vultr ID verification? okay.

trashing AWS, Google, Vultr, and DO in the same sentence? crazy!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Reply #4403 in are VPS providers on LowendBox / LowendTalk legit?

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!