close

March 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Does SlickStack pretty much require Cloudflare to be used?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Alan

Some people don’t want to use Cloudflare or don’t want to rely on third party service such as Cloudflare.

#3047 Reply
    Susan

Yes and no.

SlickStack loves Cloudflare for it’s incredibly robust DNS system, and it’s a very user friendly platform to manage your DNS records.

Some of the default “uncapped” settings in SlickStack esp. Linux kernel assume you have a CDN or WAF of sorts but it’s not actually required to have it.

#3048 Reply
    Ralph

It’s not inherently a security or performance risk to use SlickStack without Cloudflare, it’s more just simply “why don’t you want to use Cloudflare” when it’s free and has so many benefits. A lot of people are still clinging to outdated opinions of Cloudflare from several years ago that it slows down your site or things like that but it’s just not true… esp. if you’re only using CF for DNS purposes and have their proxy disabled.

#3049 Reply
    Megan

There’s very few cases where Cloudflare shouldn’t be considered

#3061 Reply
    Shirley

Cloudflare is not “required” but strongly recommended at least for DNS.

https://dnsperf.com/

Look at DNSPerf to see why you should use Cloudflare

#3431 Reply
    Linda

A lot of my clients in Europe hate Cloudflare.

#3432 Reply
    Samuel
    #3446 Reply
    Bryan

A lot of people don’t realize you can use Cloudflare for DNS only and still keep your other CDN like Fastly or Stackpath or whatever.

#3867 Reply
    Frances

There’s very few cases where Cloudflare shouldn’t be considered

This.

A lot of my clients in Europe hate Cloudflare.

Germans complain about nearly everything.

#3868 Reply
    Willie

Far-left Euro activists are okay with using some s****y Mastodon server being hosted in some university student’s dorm room, but claim Cloudflare is some horrible corporate honeypot that cannot be trusted because _reasons_

They just hate Cloudflare because Germany has become the defacto headquarters in Europe for Antifa and trans/pedo activists and Cloudflare briefly refused to take down the Kiwi Farms website (among others) as they believe in freedom of speech

https://www.cloudflare.com/press-releases/2022/cloudflare-joins-eu-cloud-code-of-conduct-achieves-new-certifications-to/

Now that Cloudflare is bending the knee to E.U. and assisting “Russian journalists” I’m sure the hatred of Cloudflare will disappear overnight in Brussels and Berlin

#3869 Reply
    Jennifer
    #4637 Reply
    Brenda

What about Cloudflare APO

#4934 Reply
    Evelyn

Cloudflare APO is discouraged when using SlickStack… firstly, it’s not free anymore, and secondly it’s mostly a marketing ploy for stupid users who don’t realize they can achieve the same thing with a few Page Rules or even CF Workers.

SlickStack discourages “magic button” solutions where the sysadmin is not aware of what settings are being configured.

#4935 Reply
    Harold

Cloudflare is not required but, I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t use it unless they are some type of cyber criminal or anti-Cloudflare extremist paranoid about NSA honeypots which frankly, unless you are going to install your own undersea fibre optic cables than I’m sure the CIA and NSA can still find you lol

Even if you want to use another CDN like BunnyCDN you can (should) still use Cloudflare for at least DNS records

#4936 Reply
    Mason

SlickStack requirements

Requirements

#12074 Reply
    Frances

for anyone wondering about Cloudflare APO, there’s a new free feature for caching Google Fonts in Cloudflare. so, that was one of the main reasons for using APO, and now you don’t need APO activated to benefit from this!

#12076 Reply
    Tyler

for anyone wondering about Cloudflare APO, there’s a new free feature for caching Google Fonts in Cloudflare. so, that was one of the main reasons for using APO, and now you don’t need APO activated to benefit from this!

Does this mean that I can simply add Google Fonts to my WordPress website and Cloudflare will take care of it?

What about the rest, still a good idea to activate Cloudflare APO?

#12086 Reply
    Michelle

Does this mean that I can simply add Google Fonts to my WordPress website and Cloudflare will take care of it?

What about the rest, still a good idea to activate Cloudflare APO?

Cloudflare APO sucks, we don’t recommend paying for it or relying on it. One of the main reasons is that developers should understand and enable/disable Cloudflare features one-by-one instead of relying on a magic button like APO.

You don’t need to upload any fonts to WordPress, simply embed Google Fonts in your theme header as normal, and activate the new Google Fonts feature in Cloudflare… done!

https://developers.cloudflare.com/speed/optimization/content/fonts/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Reply #3049 in Does SlickStack pretty much require Cloudflare to be used?

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!