close

March 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

missing search box on forums? +differences between dev / staging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frances

i thought i would search before making a post because its something that seems obvious and was already asked. maybe consider adding a search box in the future.

anyway, what are the differences between DEV and Staging during setup? as a first time user of SS I was impressed with alot of stuff but towards the end that part had me guessing.

also, i thought it was funny, and kinda stinks, that i couldn’t install on a subdomain, but there is a subdomain multisite option, and a subdomain dev / staging options.

just something i was pondering over because i don’t understand the complexities of the behind scene things.

p.s. – also couldn’t find a search in the docs / help area about staging / dev.

p.s.s. – before installing ss, i checked out WordOps and they have, what i think, is a nice help section area. perhaps something to replicate.

#4064 Reply
    Amy
    #4065 Reply
    Helen

what are the differences between DEV and Staging during setup?

Good question! Our docs still suck.

After a lot of discussion about dev/staging a few years ago, we decided to “hardcode” the following approach:

dev.example.com is 100% independent, it’s like a separate WordPress site on your server, there is no automatic communication between it and production/staging. By default it’s just a fresh installation of WordPress… if you want to sync your prod site over there for some reason you will have to do that manually using SS scripts.

staging.example.com is very connected with production… by default, SlickStack will automatically sync your production to staging every X hours or so. This means that, unlike other WP services, it’s truly a “staging” site meant to briefly test new features or changes and not for any long-term web dev.

….if you want to sync staging to production we have a script for that, but it must be done manually for security reasons, and it’s currently discouraged to avoid data loss. In the future we are hoping to release a PHP-based script that does this better in WP Admin instead.

#4066 Reply
    Danielle

also, i thought it was funny, and kinda stinks, that i couldn’t install on a subdomain, but there is a subdomain multisite option, and a subdomain dev / staging options.

Actually SlickStack does support subdomains! You can install it to any of these:

- example.com
    - example.co.uk
    - www.example.com
    - www.example.co.uk
    - blog.example.com
    - blog.example.co.uk

It just doesn’t support sub-subdomains aka. multi-level subdomains, because of problems with Cloudflare and SSL certificate management.

Ex. new.blog.example.com is not supported.

However the dev and staging subdomains are reserved and you shouldn’t install SlickStack on those even if you want to use it only as a dev/staging server. Just call it something different to avoid conflicts, for example maybe test.example.com or something.

#4083 Reply
    Betty

WHAT DO WE WANT?

(shouting) A search box!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

(shouting) Now!

#11822 Reply
    Brenda
    #11823 Reply
    Harold
    #11937 Reply
    Emily

Search function in the forum would be great. I was also wondering if it could be set up so only users subscribed with their email (verified) could participate.

#11941 Reply
    Peter

I was also wondering if it could be set up so only users subscribed with their email (verified) could participate.

hmmm but why Emily Fed?

#11951 Reply
    Jennifer

hmmm but why Emily Fed?

Haha no I didn’t mean it in that way. I meant if I had a blog, I wouldn’t like to have bots/spam (and I wouldn’t know how to avoid it effectively), but verified emails could allow me to build a user base of trusted participants that I don’t have to monitor constantly.

Moderating every single message daily in an anonymous forum would be too daunting.

#12341 Reply
    Frank

bbPress topics and replies now included in search results:

Ex: https://slickstack.io/?s=godaddy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Reply #4065 in missing search box on forums? +differences between dev / staging

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!