close

March 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Why does SlickStack hate Amazon AWS cloud?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bruce

from the Hosting page

Web Hosting

AWS is highly discouraged for new SlickStack users, why is that?

#3402 Reply
    Sean

hate is a strong word! SlickStack just says to be careful with AWS because it is very confusing and complicated for users new to cloud servers.

for example you need to pay for a static IP address, otherwise your website can randomly go offline with AWS if you are using a DNS provider like Cloudflare

#3403 Reply
    Patrick

AWS also has no team sharing feature, you have to give your actual login to any freelancers who are helping you with your servers which is insane.

#3406 Reply
    Justin

I think some devs use AWS just to feel cool.

#3414 Reply
    Mason

AWS also uses Xen virtualization, I think they announced changing to KVM recently but seems like they weren’t serious about it because they have their own Nitro hypervisor now which honestly they probably just stole from KVM and then rebranded

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/aws-just-announced-a-move-from-xen-towards-kvm-so-what-is-kvm/

#3415 Reply
    Alexis

Everything in AWS is all about making things as proprietary as possible and then sign corporate contracts so that engineers are required to get “AWS certified” with all this weird tech that only Amazon uses… anyone who supports FOSS should avoid AWS whenever possible.

#3416 Reply
    Sophia
    #3448 Reply
    Vincent

Remember when AWS refused to sponsor Redis and when Redis called them out and changed to require enterprise licensing then AWS copied their software into a new proprietary software made only for AWS

that is Amazon in a nutshell, they hate the open web

#3987 Reply
    Samuel

AWS billed some of my clients thousands of $$$ and my clients couldn’t figure out how to turn off all these secret services, and Support refused to help them.

DON’T USE IT

#4613 Reply
    Ronald

I agree. AWS is overrated. But Lightsail is decent.

#6336 Reply
    Isabella

Everything in AWS is all about making things as proprietary as possible and then sign corporate contracts so that engineers are required to get “AWS certified” with all this weird tech that only Amazon uses… anyone who supports FOSS should avoid AWS whenever possible.

🙌

#6452 Reply
    Brittany

KVM ftw…… f**k Nitro

#6453 Reply
    Dorothy

time for AWS to change its name to CIA-NSA Cloud

#8114 Reply
    Brian

thanks, interesting read

#9700 Reply
    Nathan

AWS is the iPhone of cloud providers, it’s total gaslighting normies into thinking it’s some type of golden product when in reality its just lock-in with poor usability.

#10089 Reply
    Sarah

AWS is the iPhone of cloud providers, it’s total gaslighting normies into thinking it’s some type of golden product when in reality its just lock-in with poor usability.

to be fair iPhone is probably way more ethical and usable than AWS

#11492 Reply
    Christopher

Update:

According to recent user reports on our Discord server, AWS Lightsail now has file/user permissions issues with SlickStack out-of-the-box and may require some tinkering to get it working.

Previously SlickStack had recommended only Lightsail out of the various AWS servers, but now even Lightsail is having problems.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Reply #3403 in Why does SlickStack hate Amazon AWS cloud?

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!