close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

WordPress disable object cache

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Patricia

how can I deactivate the object caching in my WordPress site because I want to test if that is causing some problem with one of my plugins

Larry

The easiest way to disable object cache in WordPress is simply deleting the object-cache.php file that (might) exist in your /wp-content/ directory.

That assumes the file exists, but it might not.

Object caching is something that differs greatly between different web hosting companies and platforms, so they might have a control panel for you to use whenever you want to enable or disable object cache.

Some general “cache” plugins for WordPress also have object cache settings!

John

If you are using SlickStack you can sudo nano /var/www/ss-config and then look for this line in your config:

SS_OBJECT_CACHE="true"

Then simply change the value of this variable to false

After that, run ss install mu plugins and it will reinstall the MU plugins for your WordPress site (and also the object cache) and after it finishes running, it will delete your object-cache.php file if you have that setting disabled.

Nicholas

So there is no setting in WordPress WP Admin for this?

Karen

So there is no setting in WordPress WP Admin for this?

Correct.

Because object-cache.php is a “drop-in” plugin, that means you simply add the file or delete the file, no database/settings for better stability.

Lawrence
    Edward

okay I saw a WP thread about maybe users can disable object cache from the wp-config.php settings but maybe that is for only their specific plugin?

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/suggestion-disable-object-cache-from-wp-config/

this is not universal, correct

Adam

Correct its not universal, looks like that thread was making a suggestion for the LS Cache plugin, but seems it was not implemented maybe.

LittleBizzy had an option for their forked version of Pressjitsu object-cache.php which was called:

define('OBJECT_CACHE', true); // default = true (if not defined, object-cache.php loads by default)

https://github.com/littlebizzy/object-cache

But that is not typical, most object cache scripts do not support disabling even with special settings in wp-config.php. And really, they probably shouldn’t because then something could perhaps interfere with your hosting environment.

SlickStack doesn’t use this script anymore in fact.

Charlotte

TLDR disabling object cache depends on your web hosting platform in most cases, so you might need to contact them about how to proceed.

But for SlickStack you disable it with your ss-config settings 🙂

Brenda

Disable Object Cache Addition/Invalidation in WordPress

is this method no longer supported in WP?

wp_suspend_cache_addition( true );

Jean

@Brenda

I have never heard of wp_suspend_cache_addition before… that blog post is like 10 years old already, not sure but I suspect that method is not accurate anymore for more modern versions of WordPress

Juan

Step 1.

Delete your object-cache.php

Step 2.

Relax, you’re done!

Emily
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!