close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Are WordPress SEO plugins mostly a scam?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brenda

I found his article from a Google search about SEO plugins. Curious what you guys think…

Are “SEO Plugins” Killing Your Website?

Beverly

In my opinion, most of WordPress sites don’t need an SEO plugin. Why? Because if you choose good titles for your pages and posts, and write quality content, that is what matters most (besides performance factors).

SEO plugins are mostly psychology hype for users who are not very technical. They put these colorful buttons everywhere and give you “scores” about how optimized your content is… if you think this is advanced programming, you’re mistaken, because that is just some PHP code that counts how many times your “target” keyword appears in the article.

XML sitemap is the only useful feature really.

Mary

To answer the question:

YES

Helen

I have used WordPress for over a decade and never used SEO plugins. I only use sitemap plugins and sometimes noindex plugins but nothing much beyond that.

Granted I use custom WP themes so I can set titles and stuff however I want in the theme.

Amber

@OP article is specifically calling out Rank Math:

I even did an analysis of why the homepage of one such plugin (Rank Math) was a misleading (at best) or a scam (at worst).

Fraudulent advertising practices. But anyone paying attention knows this, I don’t know anyone who uses Rank Math besides some newbie designers who don’t know yet… and the fraud is the tip of the iceberg, their code is horrendous.

Aaron
    Benjamin

The scam is that some of the SEO plugins promise to improve your rankings, which is not necessarily true. Some of them like Yoast or Rank Math are full of annoying popups and spam that never disappear and Rank Math also took code from Yoast without crediting them so that is rather dishonest and also broken the GPL license terms.

I like Slim SEO, it’s got no bullshit and pretty much just activate it. That is how SEO plugins should be if they are honest.

Jose

promise to improve your rankings

Not only SEO plugins, but much of the SEO products industry. Selling hype and hope to people who want to throw money at a problem!

The spelling errors and horrible English grammar in Rank Math should be a warning sign that a random group of web developers from India might not be the best to grade your content, but the colorful “scores” everywhere hypnotize the desperate WordPress users!

Mary

“Are SEO plugins killing your website?”

Anyone using WP more than 5+ years can remember how many fatal errors, security exploits and even deindexing web pages was caused by Yoast plugin.

If you are stupid enough to use it after all that well it’s your own fault.

Yoast SEO was responsible for 75% drop in our traffic (and how we fixed)

Brandon

👀
    👀
    👀

Abigail

it’s not that SEO plugins are mostly a scam, it’s that most SEO plugins are a scam because there’s only a few really and they are mostly hype

the bigger problem is that so many website owners are pre-programmed to fall for this hype and UPGRADE NOW!! thinking that it’s going to improve their search traffic

Michelle

so many website owners are pre-programmed to fall for this hype

=====>>>

Why are American consumers so easy to brainwash??

Kevin

mostly they are just a joke.

Pamela
    Doris

WP Johnny also said the same as you guys 😀

Seems more influencers are turning against SEO plugins finally.

Why I don’t use SEO plugins (ever)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!