close

May 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Cloudflare is finally deprecating Railgun… about time!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sandra

this clunky thing was always an obnoxious feature used by shared hosting companies to pretend like they were better

Shirley
    Steven

hallelujah!

Walter

Honestly I never really understood what it did. It was like for cPanel web hosts to say they had a special CDN or something that is normally for Cloudflare premium customers.

Richard

oh Railgun? it was for Hostgator to launch missiles at China

Peter

hbhb

Rachel

I’m pretty sure Railgun was just the same as Argo routing, but “free” for certain Cloudflare web hosting partners as some marketing tactic. Now they probably don’t really need any marketing help anymore, and want to monetize Argo for more customers.

Looky here

https://www.cloudflare.com/products/argo-smart-routing/

Gary

Argo is kinda weird for me. I tried it for some projects and had issues. It seems to cache things in WordPress and caused some problems

Natalie

interesting viewpoint

https://blog.hawkhost.com/2023/03/07/hawk-host-cloudflare-railgun-end-of-life/

they wrote:

Cloudflare recently deprecated the Cloudflare plugin in cPanel, which we announced in June 2022. At the same time, we were advised that Cloudflare’s Legacy Host & Reseller Partner Program would end, and an announcement about the Cloudflare Railgun would be forthcoming. Unfortunately, that announcement was never made, and our attempts to have Cloudflare provide official guidance on the situation have never happened. The Cloudflare Host & Reseller Partner Program is now shut down, and sadly that also means Hawk Host’s ability to properly maintain the Railgun systems has been removed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!