close

May 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Mailpoet trying to scare users into using their sender

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Keith

another plugin ruined by Automattic

Get ready to send your first campaign.
    Connect your website with MailPoet, and start sending for free. Reach inboxes, not spam boxes. Why am I seeing this?

this now shows up if you refuse to use the Automattic’s API server for email sending, even if you have another email sending service already

Sophia

What does “why am I seeing this” message say?

Terry
    John

This notice is shown when you have selected to send your MailPoet emails with your own host in the Settings > Send With… tab, and we detect an issue on your site that could prevent email sending using your host.
    This is generally due to any of the following reasons:
    You are using an email address that doesn’t match your website domain. (e.g. Error: Could not instantiate mail function);
    PHP mail() function has been disabled on your website/host/web server;
    Your website/host PHP installation is not configured to correctly call the mail() function;
    You have no local mail server installed and configured.
    In these cases, we highly encourage our users to send with MailPoet’s Sending Service or another professional third-party email service provider instead of sending with their website’s host.

Brenda

Why doesn’t Mailpoet just default to whatever the email sending method is in WordPress like it always did for many years??

Why are they trying force users into using their own sending API

Doesn’t this mean potentially that Mailpoet is sending mail using a different method than the rest of your WordPress website is doing???

Emma

their dishonesty is even worse than I thought.

https://example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=mailpoet-settings#/mta/other

If you go to “Send with…” settings in Mailpoet, and you choose “your web host / web server” as the sender, Mailpoet forces this to = PHP_mail. In other words, there is not any “default WordPress method” so you can’t use third party email API plugins anymore like Brevo or whatever you want.

I confirmed this by testing the Brevo plugin on my client’s site, and it sent the test email fine. But when I do the test email inside Mailpoet it fails and says:

The email could not be sent: Could not instantiate mail function.

This does not appear to be an innocent mistake. Because they have another setting now called “Send all site’s emails with…” on the Advanced settings tab, and you can choose between:

A. The current sending method – Your web host / web server (recommended)
    B. The default WordPress sending method (default)

I tried both options, and Mailpoet’s test email still fails to send via the Brevo plugin which is properly configured.

Gloria

So… in other words, if you want to use Mailpoet, you now have to use their own sender API method, otherwise use their SMTP, Amazon SES, or Sendgrid options. Apparently they have updated their plugin code to force ignore whatever default email sending methods or APIs you have configured inside WordPress.

Kenneth

if this is true…. how f*****g stupid, seriously. f**k Automattic.

Gloria

how long before Mullenweg refactors Mailpoet to require Jetpack login? y’all know he’s itching to do this lmao

only a matter of time before Mailpoet is unusable and anti-open-web

Jason

It’s the only thing Matt knows.

Managing WooCommerce extensions is a total shitshow…

Larry

How else could Automattic monetize Mailpoet??? it’s the new Akismet. its probably going to be forced into new WordPress installations sooner or later

Bruce

what does Automattic have to do with Mailpoet?

Larry

@Bruce

Automattic/Woo recently acquired Mailpoet.

Jeremy

Matt is also a major WP Engine investor:

WP Engine will not stop spamming me!!!

The man is a charlatan of epic proportions.

Judy

might be time to move on and stop using Mailpoet if they are making things that difficult, but the only alternative plugin I know is called “Newsletter” and I haven’t tried it

Newsletter – Send awesome emails from WordPress

Carolyn
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!