close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

trying to understand the staging site feature in SlickStack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Charles

coming from here

Using SlickStack to Install an Optimized WordPress Automatically on Ubuntu 20.04
    byu/cypherpvnk inselfhosted

I am not sure understanding what staging does and the advantage or having it over the development subdomain? So it’s syncing all files from production -> staging (in which intervals?) BUT not auto syncing changes made on the staging site back to production? So I am safe to test changes like new plug-in installations on staging without having to worry it will affect my production site right?

Cheryl

yes SlickStack auto-syncs production to staging at a regular interval… you should be able to choose the interval in ss-config

the idea is that you can use the staging site to briefly test new plugins or features without having to constantly ensure that it’s the same code as your prod site.

syncing from staging BACK to prod is still dicey in SlickStack… there is a shell script that can do this for you, but no PHP/WP Admin method yet.

and you should be VERY CAREFUL doing this regardless cuz it will overwrite your files and data so it’s not encouraged (for now)

Catherine

Also note:

SlickStack only supports a single staging site subdomain, like:

staging.example.com

This cannot be customized or duplicated… no subdirectories, or multiple staging sites, and anything like that.

Lawrence

Can I use some staging plugins with SlickStack like WP Staging or Updraft or TasteWP etc

William

Automatically syncing from staging back to production would be a very bad idea.

Isabella

Can I use some staging plugins with SlickStack like WP Staging or Updraft or TasteWP etc

yup pretty much any staging plugin should also work with ss

Jonathan

Only heard of Taste WP now:

https://tastewp.com

Looks pretty kickass but idk how it works for staging?

Victoria
    Jacob

Hey, what if I didn’t enable staging during setup wizard but now I want to enable staging on my SlickStack server? thank you!

Elijah

@Jacob just edit your ss-config STAGING_SITE to be true and then reinstall SlickStack again using ss install command.

Be sure you pointed staging subdomain to your production server IP address first

Mary
    Jacob

Just a note:

After discussion and years of consideration, we have decided to not move forward with any sort of PHP-based script for pushing staging to production. It would simply require too much time and effort to maintain safely, and SlickStack just doesn’t really value staging sites that much anyways (our philosophy is that staging sites are for temporary testing of new features only, not long-term redesign projects).

We might also remove the bash script ss-push-staging … tba.

More: https://slickstack.io/docs/pushing-staging-to-production

Carolyn

@everyone if the SlickStack staging feature is too limited for you, just use WP Staging or other staging services for WordPress, works fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!