Pushing Development To Production
Like with many tasks in the WordPress world, there are multiple ways you can “push” or install the web design from your development (subdomain) site in SlickStack onto your main production site.
One of the easiest ways is simply using a free migration plugin like All In One Migration. Some of these plugins only require 1 or 2 clicks to export your entire development site (database and all files) and then 1-2 clicks again to import that archive file into your production site.
Another easy way, if you prefer remaining in the shell, is to use the commands that SlickStack supports:
- ss push development
Semi-manual SlickStack approach
If running a simple command scares you, no problem. You can slow down the process a bit with a few different steps, and verify at each step that things look correct.
- Dump your development site database using ss dump database
- Dump your development site files using ss dump files
- Verify these dumps appear to be the correct size (or open them up and inspect as desired)
- Backup your production site as desired to a remote location using a WordPress backup plugin or other service
- Run the command ss import database
- Run the command ss import files
- For good measure you can run (again) ss purge and ss perms