close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS on WP Multisite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Megan

Hi,

A clean WP install with multisite enabled in ss-config (using the interactive guide) on a fresh updated Ubuntu VPS server – I get ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

I have googled this and SSL I already set to Full on Cloudflare:

Redirect Loops

What else can be causing this? I got no errors during install.

Installing without WP multisite enabled in ss-config makes everything work fine but I need multisite running on this server.

Diane

You must comment out these lines first in your wp-config.php

/** comment these out on new installs and visit WP Admin >> Tools >> Network Setup */
    define('MULTISITE', true); // ss = true
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', @WP_MULTISITE_SUBDOMAINS); // ss = true
    // define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '@SITE_DOMAIN'); // ss = *must be unique*
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
    define('NOBLOGREDIRECT', 'https://@SITE_DOMAIN'); // ss = *must be unique*
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/'); // ss = /
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); // ss = 1
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); // ss = 1

And then visit WP Admin >> Tools >> Network Setup and follow that wizard.

Albert
    Bruce

After you finish the wizard in WP Admin, you can re-run ss install

Or just ss install wp config again.

Jean

This is due to shortfall in SS ability to configure the database fully for WP Multisite, we never finished reviewing how to make it work smoother… I think WP-CLI can do this but I’m not sure how they do it.

Jonathan

Thank you all – appreciate all the help. WP Multisite is all installed now! Iøm not sure how it works though.

The next problems:
    1. How do I create new subsites (with top level xxx.com, yyy.com domains etc. – not subdomains) and create the SSL certificates for each separate top level domain? I don’t see any way.

2. How do I change the domains of each of those subsites under Slickstack (eg. change xxx.com to vyx.com and yyy.com to abc.com)?

Natalie

3. When I go to wp-admin/network/ I get a No Permissions error. I can’t seem to create new sites.

Brian

1. How do I create new subsites (with top level xxx.com, yyy.com domains etc. – not subdomains) and create the SSL certificates for each separate top level domain? I don’t see any way.

This is not possible unless you use Cloudflare. Just make new subsites with existing domains in your Cloudflare, point the IP address to your SS server.

SlickStack / WordPress supports automatic domain mapping, there is nothing special needed besides using OpenSSL + Cloudflare

Adam

3. When I go to wp-admin/network/ I get a No Permissions error. I can’t seem to create new sites.

Enable OpenSSL in ss-config, ensure Cloudflare is active. Then run ss install completely again. Then purge your caches ss purge and reset all permissions ss perms and then clear cookies for this site in your browser and try again.

Abigail

No purging or ss-install solved it. I now erased the server and tried again with everything fresh. I get “Registration has been disabled.” whenever visiting wp-admin or wp-login.pho after pasting the Network setup code from the NetWork Setup section in WordPress. I have commented the existing network setup to deactivate it as mentioned in the wp-config file.

Private Browser mode does not help. Neither does perms, purge commands or ss-install or ss-install wp-config

Can’t figure out how to get this network startup.

The pasted code is:
    define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );
    define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );
    define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘www.domain.com’ );
    define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );
    define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );
    define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

Any ideas?

Mason

And running ss-install wp-config just resets the multisite setup – so I have to do Network Setop again. So I go around in circles.

Each to I do Network Setup steps I get ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Cloudflare Security is set to Full b.t.w.

Rachel

“Each time I do Network Setup” I meant

Timothy

>> after pasting the Network setup code

Why are you pasting anything? You seem to be adding in more steps that are not required, all you do is comment the lines mentioned **the first time you setup Multisite** and visit Tools >> Network Setup… after you finish the wizard, there is no pasting of anything, because the lines exist already. Simply run ss install wp config at that point and it will regenerate the required lines for you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!