close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

How to properly change domain name in SlickStack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jason

I setup SlickStack on a subdomain for testing and now I want to use in my production domain what should I do to safely change it?

will all my data be lost

Louis

just change in ss-config and run the installation again, no data lost

Donna
    George

First you need to sudo nano /var/www/ss-config to edit your config file.

Then find SITE_TLD and SITE_DOMAIN and update their values to whatever your production domain name is… these 2 values could be the same, if you’re not using www.

After you exit the nano editor and save config file, then run the installer again by doing either ss install or sudo bash /var/www/ss-install

Wait until the installer is finished and your new domain should load fine now.

Joseph

There is no data loss from doing this… your database is preserved, and your files are preserved, only the domain name is updated in Nginx config and WordPress config really.

Julia

FYI make sure you pointed your new domain to the SS server already before doing this, if you want Certbot to work and domain to load properly after that!

Sara

Hi,

what if I’m changing ss server from subdomain like test.example.com to main production site like example.com without “www” prefix?

Jeremy

1. Does SlickStack support multiple domains: abc.com (main domain) and def.com as subsites on a WP multisite or does it only support subdomain under the main domain (eg. def.abc.com)?

2. If if it does support it, wat if you have a multisite. How would the domain name change be done for one of the domains (subsites)?

Stephanie

what if I’m changing ss server from subdomain like test.example.com to main production site like example.com without “www” prefix?

See the previous response from @George:

How to properly change domain name in SlickStack

Ralph

@Jeremy please start a new topic as this topic is about production single sites, not about WP Multisite setups.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!