close

May 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Permissions denied in Lightsail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gary

Hi,

Testing this very promising project. As I RTFM, just created a lighstail VM (1 vCPU / 2 Gb) but the launch script gives a “ss : permission denied” even after adding sudo (logged in as ubuntu).
    What do I do wrong ?
    Best regards.

Thomas

I seem to remember sudo issues with Lightsail because their default sudo user is called ubuntu but I can’t remember what the fix was for ss lol

Patricia

maybe you can manually add the sudo user that SlickStack will use from ss-config and then try to run installer again?

Jessica

AWS is a nightmare for usability, they never follow industry standards!

Denise
    Ronald

I know but this was specifically installed in Lightsail, not AWS per se, and it is listed as a good hosting option.

Patrick

@OP

You can try to manually create (and modify as desired) your /var/www/ss-config file first, then manually add your sudo user.

Note: You might also need to manually run sudo mkdir -p /var/www beforehand.

After your ss-config exists, and sudo user exists, you can download the installer to your /tmp/ directory and try running it like this:

cd /tmp/
    sudo wget -O ss slick.fyi/ss
    sudo bash /tmp/ss
    Kevin

If you’re wondering how to manually create/modify your ss-config file:

sudo wget -O /tmp/ss-config https://mirrors.slickstack.io/bash/ss-config-sample.txt

Then do sudo nano /tmp/ss-config and edit as desired.

Then do sudo cp /tmp/ss-config /var/www/ss-config after ready.

And again, you might need to manually run sudo mkdir -p /var/www before this to ensure the www directory exists properly.

Victoria

You can also try rebooting the Lightsail server after you manually create your sudo user and before doing the other steps here.

Scott

FYI, Lightsail is no longer recommended by SlickStack. Latest versions of Lightsail have new user/file permissions issues seems.

Christian

from here: https://slickstack.io/forum/topic/why-does-slickstack-hate-amazon-aws-cloud#post-11492

Update:

According to recent user reports on our Discord server, AWS Lightsail now has file/user permissions issues with SlickStack out-of-the-box and may require some tinkering to get it working.

Previously SlickStack had recommended only Lightsail out of the various AWS servers, but now even Lightsail is having problems.

Marilyn

so tl;dr stay away from Amazon?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!