close

April 2024 only! Join our Discord free of charge.

Slick­Stack
Lightning-fast WordPress on Nginx

Siteground killing your SEO with false positive captchas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Noah

Saw this on a client’s site:

Our system thinks you might be a robot!
    We’re really sorry about this, but it’s getting harder and harder to tell the difference between humans and bots these days.

Please complete the captcha below to prove you’re a human and proceed to the page you’re trying to reach.

Zero branding, zero explanation, had to research it for a while and then I found, it’s caused by Siteground when you are using Cloudflare.

Madison
    Randy

how retarded, why is Siteground playing WAF firewall instead of being a web host? and why would they do this without telling customers

Amy

What evidence this is from Siteground???

George
    Joshua

Siteground and Namecheap, 2 companies that are severely over-hyped. Obnoxious features, obnoxious UI, and I can’t understand why anyone can stand them. I mean its better than Godaddy, but everything is.

Louis

nothing more annoying than companies that refuse to play nice with other technologies in your web stack.

Roger
    Brenda

do you have a screenshot of this?

Shirley
    Jordan

SlickStack fixes this.

Patrick
    Raymond

Siteground is the new Godaddy. Give it a few more years

Emma

Also: siteground plugins apparently have the delightful feature of phoning home with your email address (among other data):

https://www.pluginvulnerabilities.com/2023/12/15/two-1-million-wordpress-plugins-from-siteground-sponsor-of-plugin-review-team-rep-tracking-without-consent/

Alan

Siteground:

securing the sh*t out of your website until you have no traffic!

Jason

Siteground is the new Godaddy. Give it a few more years

hmm, I think WP Engine beat them to it imho

Julie

I’ve spent the past few days trying to figure out this SiteGround captcha indexing issue and found this thread via Google. What a huge help!

Apparently I’ve had this issue with one of my sites for a few months and my pages indexed tanked as did traffic from SEO. Basically Googlebot was interpreting the meta noindex in the /.well-known/sgcaptcha/ files as being a noindex for every page on my site b/c that file was inserted when Google went to crawl the pages.

I wrote a pretty thorough post about this in case anyone else has this indexing issue in the future.

I’m still not sure if this is caused when using SiteGround + Cloudflare or if its SiteGround + Ezoic. Would be interested in any insights about that.

Richard

SiteGround + Cloudflare or if its SiteGround + Ezoic

you’re almost there mate. almost there.

Christina

@Julie

change the name of your blog post to “Why I stopped using Siteground and why you should too!” otherwise total waste of writing tbh….

Samantha

Siteground was removed from WP.org recommended web hosts last year!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks to our generous sponsors for their support!